He has worked as a biologist for the federal government, state wildlife agencies, universities, and in the private sector in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.
Jim has authored or coauthored more than 120 scientific papers, book chapters, and popular articles in national and regional publications. He is currently Chairman of the Western Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies “Mule Deer Working Group” made up of 1 mule deer expert from each of 23 western states and Canadian provinces.
He has also written TV scripts for the Mule Deer, Coues Whitetail, and Pronghorn episodes of “Leupold’s Big Game Profiles” which aired on the Outdoor Channel. This show won the Golden Moose Award for “Best Content.” Also watch for Jim on episodes of “Boone & Crockett Country” on the Outdoor Channel. His Mule Deer Working Group helped produce the program “Mule Deer: Saving the icon of the West.” Watch for this show on the Sportsman Channel this year.
He is an adjunct professor at the University of Arizona, Professional Member of the Boone & Crockett Club, and currently works as Regional Game Specialist for the Arizona Game and Fish Department.
Other noteworthy recognition:
· 1995 Commendation for Excellence - AZ Game and Fish Department
· 1996 Employee of the Year - AZ Game and Fish Field Ops Division
· 2000 AZ Wildlife Professional of the Year – The Wildlife Society
· 2004 Commendation for Excellence - AZ Game and Fish Department
· 2005 Outstanding Contributor – Western Assoc Fish & Wildlife Agencies
· 2009 Wildlife Professional of the Year — Mule Deer Foundation
· 2010 Wallmo Award— leading black-tailed and mule deer biologist in North America
· 2011 Director’s Meritorious Citation—AZ Game and Fish Department
is a Certified Wildlife
Biologist with degrees
in Wildlife Management
from the University of
Wisconsin—Stevens Point and Texas A&M University—Kingsville.